BRUNO LATOUR ARAMIS PDF

Packet switching works well for moving data — why not use it for moving humans? In a nutshell, the French Aramis transit project proposed packet switching as a. This book was originally published as Aramis, l’amour des Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data. Latour, Bruno. [Aramis. I:onglish]. Aramis. Aramis is a very high tech automated subway that was developped in France during the 80s; after its sudden demise, an investigation has been requested in the.

Author: Arasida Zulkizuru
Country: Trinidad & Tobago
Language: English (Spanish)
Genre: Software
Published (Last): 20 June 2005
Pages: 205
PDF File Size: 10.12 Mb
ePub File Size: 7.81 Mb
ISBN: 380-1-94536-784-9
Downloads: 50027
Price: Free* [*Free Regsitration Required]
Uploader: Minos

With all the brouhaha about moving bytes around on the information superhighways, moving people around real cities has become less glamorous — after all, the current mythology is that telecommuting will render the automobile obsolete, right?

Aramis is often hilarious.

Aramis tells the story of the birth and death of a high-tech public transportation project. Aramis, an innovative public transportation system developed in France between and that, despite its aramus technological interest and all the efforts invested in it, finally failed to see the light.

In contrast, this book describes an extraordinarily well-designed and highly superior semi-personal robotic transit system developed by the French government — and then squashed by the French government.

Aramis or the Love of Technology |

Relativist sociology has no fixed reference frames, and consequently no metalanguage. Chris Marmo rated it really liked it Dec 24, Amazon Music Stream millions of songs. Daughter needed for school and it was a great price. Pleagle Trainer rated it it was amazing Apr 07, It is also interesting in the way Latour uses the case arais argue the usefulness and suitability latourr his new kind of sociology, mostly centred around the actor-network theory.

Alexa Actionable Analytics for the Web. I think [this] is Latour’s best book so far. It seems to me that aramiss were some pretty serious flaws in the arguments presented in this book and I remain unconvinced by the value of ANT.

  CAESALPINIA PYRAMIDALIS PDF

I liked it as an investigation proper and also as a model or guide for research and unconventional theorizing. Technology is not a realm or a thing in itself, is a central feature of culture.

So, a weird book, a only partly successful experiment, but still interesting especially if you get past the first pages, which might be difficult. Aramis, or the Love of Technologyin this translation by Catherine Porter, comes out the way a aramus bird should, au pointjuicy and delicious.

Engineers will be annoyed by the sociological commentary, sociologists by the tonnes I mean it of technological details. Politics in the New Climatic Regime. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Latour makes this point regarding the love affair between a technological creation and its creator through comparisons with Frankenstein, the prototypical creator vs.

Clear books are boring propaganda. Post a Comment Cancel reply Your email is never published nor shared. There are much better books than this out there about man’s relationship with technology, do yourself a favor and find one of them.

Because the social structure the network of social interests do not support research in that area, although for some time it did: Watson; a scholarly treatise introducing the modern sociology of technology; and a reproduction of original archival documents. Aramis seems like an utopian kind of transportation, a hybrid between public and private transportation I suggest you google about it and PRTbut engineers worked on it for two decades and deemed it possible.

It is a necessary pre-knowledge to make sense of what is observed. Very political from the start, the Aramis project’s fortunes were more determined by patronage than by consumer concern. He is perhaps the best contemporary exponent of the philosophy of interchanges, of continuous passages across traditional dualisms and traditional disciplinary borders. Return to Book Page.

  EDWIN SACHS SLEIGHT OF HAND PDF

Their initial conception or an imperfect copy is what you hold in your hand, and it had to be ,atour way if you look at the function of the object in a sensible light, or so the story goes. Feb 26, Rosemary rated it it was amazing.

This story patour much to say about the world we want to build, the world we think we are building, and the worlds we have failed to pull off. Another interesting point concerns the relationship between common sense and innovation.

Aramis or the Love of Technology

Get to Know Us. It should also be read by anybody looking for some genuinely fresh philosophical ideas. Thanks to Latour’s observational acumen and sociological insights,however, the book is full of interesting points on the nature of innovation and research.

I hated this book for all the same reasons that the previous reviewer loved it. Fortunately, the book offers interview scripts and documents that help us reach our own conclusions.

: Aramis, or the Love of Technology (): Bruno Latour: Books

Top Reviews Most recent Top Reviews. As they say ‘the journey is the reward’ and in this book that’s really where the meat is. Specifically, they have to be argued for, represented, taken sides with etc.

Trivia About Aramis, or the Lo This is very lwtour to the software developers’ mantra “”The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time; the remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the latohr time”.